from Cake to Bake
I will explain how i got CakePHP working from start (Download) to finish (Bake). This tutorial is for PHP/MYSQL on Mint 12/Ubuntu users. I assume that you have installed PHP/MYSQL and apache configured already, you can find many tutorials for doing that, hence i will focus on CakePHP. I also assume that you have created atleast one table in your database by following naming conventions in CakePHP which is pretty easy task :)
- Download the latest version of Cake from https://cakephp.org/
- Go to your Download folder (or where ever you downloaded your folder), Extract the folder in the same location.
- Move the folder to your application root. (In my case /var/www/ )if you face permission denied while copy/paste, use “gksu nautilus” to open the target location.
- Rename the folder, MyCake
- Use this to change permissions, “sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www/MyCake/”
- Delete the folder named “app” from /var/www/MyCake/ , we will be using folder that will be created by bake
- So far you have downloaded and set up Cake, now lets install cake bake utility. Run this in your terminal to install cake, ” sudo apt- get install cakephp-scripts ” this will help in baking later. This will also create new folder in “/usr/share/php” named cake
Important: Use sudo gedit /etc/apache2/sites-available/default to edit the contents to follow:
<Directory /var/www/> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride All Order allow,deny allow from all </Directory>
- Run this in your terminal. This command will create a folder named app in your MyCake folder cake bake -app /var/www/MyCake/app/ This will ask you below:
What is the full path for this app including the app directory name? Example:/var/www/MyCake/app/myapp [/var/www/My-CakePHP/aapp/myapp] >
You must give it path to where you want app folder created, in this case type below:
This will create new folder named app and new files under it.
- Again run the same command, this time we want to use its CRUD functionality called Bake.
after running this command below: cake bake -app /var/www/MyCake/app/
it might tell you that your database.php file cannot be found and that if you want to create the same, tell it yes and provide all the details, do not modify first option ($default), this is a variable that should be left untouched.
or it will ask you what you want to do?
Welcome to CakePHP v1.3.7 Console
App : app Path: /var/www/My-CakePHP/app B0x1A0 Interactive Bake Shell B0x1A0 [D]atabase Configuration [M]odel [V]iew [C]ontroller [P]roject [F]ixture [T]est case [Q]uit What would you like to Bake? (D/M/V/C/P/F/T/Q) >
tell it that you want to create Model by typing M
Bake Model Path: /var/www/My-CakePHP/app/models/ B0x1A0 Use Database Config: (default/database) [default] >
and so on....
Rest is very intutive and help you create controllers and view.